Sunday, March 28, 2010

Not Feeling So Well....


As some of you already know I twisted my ankle, Thursday night on a sidewalk curb, and broke both of the bones in my lower left leg.



If you take a look at the diagram, you will note the Tibia and the Fibula. I broke both of these bones. I broke the tip off of the smaller of the two, the fibula, and have a "spiral" fracture in the larger bone, the tibia.



Wikipedia's definition of a "spiral fracture" is this: "A spiral fracture (also called a torsion fracture) is a bone fracture in which the bone has been twisted apart. ... The spiral fracture will look like a corkscrew type which runs parallel with the axis of the broken bone. "



So, for all of you homeschoolers, this should be a nice little "biology/anatomy" lesson for the kiddos. I told the doctor who discharged me yesterday that I had a 3 year old known affectionately as "the hurricane" to care for and a 13 year old to homeschool when I got back home. He told me to plan for the last of our school year (which is about 30 more days) to be very home economics and biology/anatomy focused. That Dr. seems to understand lifestyle learning which sometimes interrupts our best laid plans. Oh, of course she'll still have to do her math - bless her heart.



As for me, and my healing...

* I can't put any weight on the left leg/foot for 6 weeks, not even a tiny little bit.

* I go back in 2 weeks to see the surgeon to most likely get a hard cast put on.

* I will have to go back to physical therapy - again!!! - and was told to expect it to be hard.

* It will take about 6 months before we can expect it to be fully healed.

* I'm in a great deal of pain, a lot of the time. I have to use crutches or a walker to get around here at home. My arms are so out of shape from becoming deconditioned since I injured my back, so they are getting a great workout now for sure. I suppose that's one really positive that will come out of all of this.

As always I appreciate comments, however - "Anonymous" you're on my "watch list" and further Anonymous comments will most likely be pulled if they are not signed with some initials, or other way of identifying yourself. And know that any and everything that comes by way of my email is read by me... and don't forget who I'm married to...

Abiding "somewhat painfully" in His grace,

Lori

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesm I know all about your husband. Hope you get feeling better
JK

Timothy Smith said...

Get well soon Ms. L that's really bad. *grimaces* sorry bout the whole thing with JK. He was TRYING to be funny with all this while I was on probation (from computor I would never get caught AT the bar(yes that joke is getting old I know(sorry))).
-Tim

Anonymous said...

Yes I also knew that you and anna share an email

Kristin said...

We are praying for you!

Debra said...

so explain where they put the plate and pins.....so we can finish the anatomy lesson:0)!!

Lori McGuire said...

Anonymous:
Thank you for clearing up your identity....

HI Tim:
Thanks, I'm doing my best to get well, it's gonna take a long time though.

Thank you all for your prayers,
Lori

Lori McGuire said...

Debra:
The plate was used to reattach the part of the bone that broke off of the fibula. It is screwed into both parts of the broken bones, which allows the bones to work on fusing back together.

This is similar to what they did in my neck. The only difference is that there is no bone bank "product" in there for this one. The plate and screws are permenant.

Lori

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I took an in depth anatomy class at BLACKTHORN institute it never covered that though hmmm must find director and hurt him

BookSnob said...

I'm so sorry Mrs L!! My Dad has bad ankles, something's always wrong with them. I inherited them too. ;-) Get well soon! Surgery's no fun... praying for you!

Lori McGuire said...

"Booksnob" thanks for thinking of me. In fact surgery is certainly NO fun!! Sorry to hear that you and your dad both have problems with your ankles. This is my first problem. My problems are usually related to my back.

"Anonymous" you have indeed had a strange life... so far..
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

SweetTart said...

(((HUGS))) Ms Lori, I really missed yall Sunday. Hope you're well enough to come to church again soon! See Anna Friday!

BookSnob said...

JK: No touching Dr. Steve. *swipes* *puts JK into the TIME OUT JAR* *tightens lid*

Anonymous said...

Thank you ms l. I apreciate it
-JK

Unknown said...

Wow! That sounds well...positively horrible! I am so sorry! Will be praying you heal quicker and easier than expected! (((HUGS)))

Lori McGuire said...

*raises hand* she didn't mean to say "uuuuuuuuuu" something is wrong with her computer laptop thingy...

~anna

SweetTart said...

*whispers* Anna, it gets confusing with you using your mothers account.

Anna said...

*whispers* that's why I sign my name...

Anna McGuire said...

WAIT! HOLD ON!

MarryAnna da gangsta said...

AWESOME!!

Lori McGuire said...

"Superman's Lady" I don't think I know who you are (based on your profile), but thank you so much for the comment.

I am currently trying to get my "Corporate" work done, with my leg propped up on a batch of pillows, which is my lot in life right now.

Anyway, it appears you are my sister (in Christ), so *waves* HI!
Please pray for me, and my family. They have much to do trying to care for me each day, and we are only a few days into this long healing.

Lori

Timothy Smith said...

Hi My name is Joe regardless of what my screan name says. I would like to take this moment to addvertise my own blog to all of you people that already read it go to skilletfa.wordpress.com or just click on my name thingy
Thx YT joe

MarryAnna da gangsta said...

Tim, er, "Joe": I know that it's you, Tim. I've known you for over a year, which is long enough to figure out that you're a horrible speller. And "Joe", er, Tim, you spelled stuff wrong, dear.

Timothy Smith said...

No really? I only spell check when I'm professionally writing

Blondy da gangsta said...

Yes, well, you forgot an "n" on your own blog address =P