Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Comparing Ourselves with Others - devotional

Hi Everyone:

Yesterday I quoted, from my current read, a passage regarding contentment and our nature to compare ourselves to those around us. It is human nature, but God's word so warns against this very thing. Today in my morning quiet time, this is what I read, a - not so gentle - reminder about God's thoughts on comparisons.

Luke 18:10-14
"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself (I think that's hysterical! He was praying with himself, 'cause God wasn't listening.) 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' And the tax collector, standing afar off would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God be merciful to me a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

And another passage I was reminded of when reading that, is in
2 Corinthians 10:12.
"For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." (Whew that one's a little wordy, but here's the picture Paul is painting. We don't dare class or compare ourselves with those who are patting themselves on the back. Because they are measuring themselves according to everyone else around them, and thinking how good they are and how good they're doing compared to others. THAT IS NOT WISE!!!)

Sheds new light on this thing we do to ourselves, comparing ourselves, who we are and what we have with others around us. Today, let's focus on who we are in Christ and what He has provided for us (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8; James 1:17; 2 Peter 1:3), and less on what we don't have. And by all means, let's not compare ourselves to one another!

God's blessings on your day!
Lori

1 comment:

G. said...

Boy oh boy did I need this today!