Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Secret of Waiting

Before I begin this post, I'd like to say something in response to a comment from the last post, written by "Superman's Lady." I have not personally taken the time, as I've read through this book, to check out each of the scripture verses that were used by the author. It is possible that the author could have used a verse out of context, or just to make his point. So, I thought that it was important that I mention this.

Now, I will also say that if I were to feel particularly drawn to a specific verse or passage used that I would take the time to read the scripture in context. On the other hand, I would also share with you that there have been times in my own life that I believe the Lord has "given me" a single scripture, or grouping of scriptures, in particular circumstances that applied to my situation and brought peace to my soul. So, as you read, read with this in mind.

The next installment from my short little excerpts here is from the chapter entitled The Secret of Waiting from Secrets of the Secret Place by: Bob Sorge.

So, during the time of my recovery from this broken leg, I am doing a lot of w*a*i*t*i*n*g, a whole lot of it. In the meantime, everyone around me is having to "wait on" me. That happens in a lot of ways. The first way that I'm "waited on" is by moving my pillows, my blanket, my drink, my cell phone, the home phone, any book I'm reading or puzzle book I'm working in everytime I move from the bedroom to the family room and back again, fixing and bringing me every meal and drink I need, helping me wash my hair, etc... The other way that I'm waited on is different. Everyone has to wait on me to get up or down the stairs of our front stoop to get into the van, get from point A to point B when we go to church and of course lunch afterwards, get into the doctor's office for appointments and things like that. So, there's an awful lot of waiting going on around here right now. They are all waiting for me to get well and things to get back to "normal" whatever that is. :o)

So, here are our excerpts for today:
"The closer you get to God, the more you realize He's in no hurry. There is no frenetic hurrying in heaven, only calculated purpose. "Whoever believes will not act hastily" (Isaiah 28:16). Those who step into God's time zone will not allow urgent matters to press them into acting too quickly and getting ahead of God." This is a truth that I learned personally many years ago, and I am so thankful. You see, when you know this truth it keeps you from rushing headlong into bad decisions. There's no reason to make quick decisions about purchases for fear that someone else might beat you to it. If the Lord wants you to have that .... outfit, car, house ... it will be there when the time is right for you to buy it. Those of you who are single adults God has the perfect timing in regards to your spouse, or lack there of. Don't run into a marriage that isn't His plan, you don't have to run about seeking the "one" to be with, He's already got that taken care of, just wait on the Lord. There is really a lot of peace in the waiting once we learn that He is at work.

"One of the best descriptions of waiting on God is found in Psalm 123:2, 'Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters, as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the LORD our God, until He has mercy on us.' To wait on God is to stare at His hand. ... Waiting on God is not watching television until God chooses to move; waiting on God is attentively gazing upon Him with undistracted focus until He has mercy on us. And until He acts, we just wait on Him and love Him."

"Waiting on God may be the most difficult of all the spiritual disciplines, and perhaps that's the reason so few truly practice it. Just sitting in His presence and gazing... it can be agonizing to us who have become accustomed to being bombarded with data and stimuli. We lack the attention span to wait on God."

"'Therefore the LORD will wait, that He may be gracious to you; and therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you. For the LORD is a God of justice, blessed are all those who wait for Him. (Isaiah 30:18)" ... "the truth of Isaiah 30:18. When it says, 'The Lord will wait,' it doesn't mean that God is waiting for you to do something; it means that God is strategically delaying His miraculous visitation because He has greater things in store for you than you've even asked for. But to give you the fullness of what He has planned for your life, He will use the season of waiting to prepare you as a vessel, and also to prepare circumstances around your life so that you will be able to step forward into the proper sphere when His release comes to you. He's waiting so that He can crown you with an even greater blessing."

I can speak from my own life and say that the things I've wanted the absolute most in my life, have been greater than I could ever imagine when they actually came. The Lord had provided for me something far greater than I could have dreamed of. If I had run headlong towards what I thought I wanted, I would have postponed the greater thing because of not waiting on the Lord, and having peace in my decisions.

"Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!" (Psalm 27:14).

Waiting for my next Doctor's appointment,
Lori

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Im not good at waiting. Patience is not something I have an abundance of. And unfortunatley, it is something I need a lot of currently. And the more I pray for it...the more I seem to need it. :-)

I do have a tendency of reading the whole passage around verses...sometimes because I am in need for a good place to start studying and a verse picks my interest usually the surrounding is something I need...other times...God uses just a singular verse to reach me.

Regardless of how we read it - if we are searching him with our whole heart and are sincere in that desire to know him better, he will direct us to just what we need to read.

Thanks again for encouragement!