Monday, April 26, 2010

Update and "Secrets of the Secret Place"

Well, I'm writing today because Anna says the blog has gotten quiet and there's been a request from one of her friends. So, here I am, I'd better add something.

My leg is about the same. I'm still elevating and icing, and getting really tired of it all. I just mark the days as they go by, striking through them on my calendar. Kind of boring. Don't really have anything exciting to say...

Anna is taking the California Achievement Test this week, so she is currently taking the Language Mechanics portion while Sarah watches Baby First t.v. which she sometimes enjoys. Right now is one of those times. Mom's gone to pick up a few things at the store, but will be back soon. I'm sure she enjoys the break from our crazy place.

We did venture out to church again yesterday which was nice. I enjoy seeing everyone and spending time in corporate worship, receiving Biblical instruction, and enjoying time with my brothers and sisters in Christ. And, of course, being a Baptist, you can't forget the lunch afterwards!! That is some of the sweetest fellowship time, as it should be.

During my devotional time I am reading through several books - I usually have one that is a scripture study and then one or two others that I'm reading related to spiritual growth. So, one of those is a book entitled Secrets of the Secret Place - Keys to Igniting Your Personal Time with God. (written by Bob Sorge) I got the idea to read this book from another book I read that quoted from this one.

Anyway, I just have to share with you the titles of some of the last few chapters I've read. They are so fitting for my current situation, you can't help but smile at God's providence. The current section is titled "Setting A Marathon Pace" and the last chapters I've read are:
  • The Secret of Desperation (I'm feeling a little desperate these days.)
  • The Secret of Manna Gathering (This one is based on the idea of living day by day, understanding that God's provision is daily, and not intended to be stored up - like the manna He sent to the Israelites.) Now here's where it just gets plain funny!
  • The Secret of Enduring
  • The Secret of Confinement
  • The Secret of Waiting and
  • The Secret of Tears

Here are a couple of the things I underlined as I read - they either stood out to me as important lessons to learn or ideas I already know and cherish. As I look through each chapter, WOW, it's hard to pick just a few. Maybe I should share a little each day for a few days.... hey that'll work!

Okay, so here's the first set of quotes, from the chapter "The Secret of Manna Gathering."

  1. "When you're desperate for God, you become dependent on the daily sustaining power of His word. Your source of survival is your daily manna - feeding on the word of God. We know the manna of the wilderness was good for only one day; if kept over into the next day, it would rot (Exodus 16:12-31). It's still true that yesterday's feeding in the word will never sustain us for today. One of the primary functions of the secret place is to be fed afresh each day in His word."
  2. "Proverbs 16:26 says, "The person who labors, labors for himself, for his hungry mouth drives him on.' It's our hunger for the word that drives us into the secret place. When we are hungry spiritually, we are energized to labor in the word. A lack of hunger is a danger sign. When someone is sick, often the first symptom of their sickness is a loss of hunger. Those who lose their spiritual hunger need a medical exam, spiritually speaking."
  3. "Once you learn to feed yourself in the word, you are no longer upset when the Sunday sermon doesn't apply to your life. You weren't looking for the sermon to be your source of feeding and life anyways. If something in the sermon feeds you, you reckon it a bonus. You're no longer dependent on others to give you milk because now you are cutting off your own meat."

Tomorrow, excerpts from The Secret of Enduring.

And, Anna says, "Hello!" *waves*

Abiding in His sovereignty with my big ol' broke leg,
Lori

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I so need to get this book!

I've really been struggling lately in lots of areas, and have definitely felt that desperation for God and his help. And yep...I have been in his word more and more every day just seeking comfort as much as I could find. Pretty amazing!

Thanks for sharing. Hope that your healing miraculously speeds up!! Been praying for you!

Debra said...

Love the thought that manna was only good for a day and then it would rot! Had never really thought about it in the context of feeding on God's Word, though. Good stuff...keep posting from that book....I figure if you are going to be laid up with a broke leg, reading that kind of good stuff, you could post good stuff for us for weeks :) and weeks:) and weeks:).....
Not that I am wishing you to be laid up for my selfish gain or anything....just looking for that silver lining in the dark cloud.

SweetTart said...

*waves* It was good seeing you again Ms. Lori!(did I tell about my "nap" in the nursery?)

Lori McGuire said...

Yes, this is a good book! Today I'll put up my next post in a few.

ST - No, you didn't tell me about your "nap" Sunday. I thought naps were for the kids you keep in the nursery, not for the workers...

SweetTart said...

LOL I laid down in the floor. Then the two girls gave me good night kisses, talked in whispers, brought me a bunny to sleep with, told me to "go nite-nite" and kept coming to check on me. When I got up, yours exclaims "She's up!" It was really cute.

Lori McGuire said...

ST: That is SO sweet! Sara and Anna play "night-night" alot here at home. Sarah loves to take Anna to her room and put her to bed. It is so cute. She can be quite "motherly" at times.
Mrs. L