Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Secret of Confinement

Well, tonight we will continue on with our third installment of my excerpts from, and thoughts on, Secrets of the Secret Place - Keys to Igniting Your Personal Time with God by Bob Sorge.

In the trials I have faced throughout my own personal life: the illness and death of our first child, the death of Todd's mother, Anna's health problems and surgery as a baby, the death of all of our living grandparents, twenty years of marriage - and the usual trials that brings, the death of my father, the adoption of a child, my own frustrating health problems and dibilitating accidents, etc... I have come to understand the following statement, perhaps more than some can. Our first statement from this chapter is this, "David said of the Lord, 'He made darkness His secret place' (Psalm 18:11). When the lights of understanding go out and you're plunged into emotional darkness, you are actually being issued an invitation into God's secret place. It's in the darkness where God meets in secret with His chosen ones."

You see our human nature and Satan's influence, cause us to think that when something bad - maybe even horrific - is going on in our lives that we are all alone. We feel like no one else on earth has ever felt THIS, whatever you're "THIS" is, but the scriptures tell us otherwise.
Joshua 1:9, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."
Ecclesiastes 1:9 "That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun.”
Matthew 28:19-20, 'Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

At the time of our daughter's death in 1995, I could see no good thing that could come of that, I was in complete darkness, confused, and afraid. Now, 15 years later I could name dozens of the good things. I've come to embrace my God as He is, as He presents Himself boldly throughout His Word, in complete control of what comes into my life. As much as I wish I had my precious Kathryn Grace back to enjoy all of the things that would be important to her now, at 16, I wouldn't change anything. I have come to such a deeper place with God that I would not ever give up. Some of you have no idea what I'm talking about, maybe even think - "She's a loon!" Others of you understand perfectly.

Back to our book excerpts, "In His kindness, He dries up every other fountain that has nurtured your soul, that He might become your only fountain in the quietness of this cell. It's here you will learn to own the reality of Psalm 87:7, 'All my springs are in You.' Instead of being energized by projects, you will now become energized by a Person. Being with Him and in Him will become your criteria for success." and "David spoke of intimacy of the prison: 'You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it.' (Psalm 139:5-6)"

The chapter closes with these words, and I will chose to end my post with them, so that you may be left alone with this thought, and with your God.

"Here's one of the secrets of darkness: He imprisons those He loves in order to awaken them in the secret place to mature bridal affections. Don't despise your chains, for they bind you to the heart of the One you long for. You are the prisoner of the Lord."

Abiding, with complete assurance, in these chains,
Lori

4 comments:

Debra said...

I affectionately call the secret place "the cave"...can totally relate and understand what you have shared...have learned to treasure those times of confinement.....

Lori McGuire said...

Just another reason why we so easily "connect" with one another. I treasure our friendship...

Unknown said...

I am currently in a place where I do feel completely alone..unsure...TERRIFIED of the next day. The last 3 weeks have been torture...and the only peace I have felt has been in his presence...and as much as living life, working and moving on can allow, I am trying to stay in that secret place.

Thank you for sharing...I will be reading some of the passages around the verses mentioned here today.

Lori McGuire said...

It is indeed in the darkest of places that HIS light shines forth.

Praying for all of you, my readers.
Lori