Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Back Surgery, Next Week

Dear Friends,

My back surgery has been scheduled for Tuesday of next week, the 21st of October.

My mother will be staying with us for that week, in order to take care of myself and my children (and Todd too, if he needs it).

The surgery will be done as an outpatient surgery so I am thankful that I will be able to come home and rest in my own bed the first few days or so. I have been told by the doctor not to just lay around though because of the risk of blood clots. So, while I will be unable to drive, or really "do" anything, I'm sure I will have lots of time to sit in my new recliner and read.

I originally had appointments with two surgeons, but the surgeon we met with today was fantastic! Todd and I both were very comfortable with him, and with his explanation of what he would be doing. He was very straight forward, and showed us the films from my MRI explaining every single picture.

The herniation is very large, which had him quite concerned. This is why we were not able to put it off any further than next week. Additional waiting, he was worried, could cause permanent damage to the nerves feeding my right arm and the tricep muscle in that arm. He does this particular surgery on Tuesdays, so that's why it's scheduled for Tuesday of next week.

Mother will be out of town the entire next week, on a trip she'd already planned and paid for. So, she will be leaving on the following Monday and won't be back until late the following Friday. Friends have offered to help out, and I am definately going to need help. I will be unable to lift anything over the weight of a gallon of milk for 3 weeks, so that means I won't be picking up a whole lot.

I would greatly appreciate your prayers for myself and my family as we try to navigate the next 1-1/2 to 2 months or so of recovery.

Resting in His Grace,
Lori

1 comment:

John Edwards said...

we will be praying for you guys and I do hope that you will recover quickly!!!!1