Thursday, July 16, 2009

Children Have Their Own Angels!!!!

I have been reading through the book of Matthew recently. Having read it many times, I enjoy the familiarity of the passages, but I always love being reminded of something I'd forgotten or hadn't thought about lately.

Today, I was in chapter 18, one of my favorite chapters as it teaches us as Believers how to handle conflict with one another. I have referred to it on more occasions than I care to admit. I seem to find myself in the midst of my own conflicts often enough, but am also drawn into other's conflicts at times when I must counsel them. I always use the important principles found in Matthew 18:15-35.

That is not what struck me as I read today. Rather I was reminded of something we have told our oldest daughter, now 12, as she's grown up. When she was younger she would sometimes be afraid to go to bed, scared of the dark, etc... So Todd would always remind her of Matthew 18 vs. 10, which says, "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels, always see the face of my Father who is in heaven."

WOW!!! Our precious children have angels who are currently in the presence of our God. Now that is amazing to me!!! Great news!!! What a relief that is to me - the worrier - that God has it covered. Does that mean nothing bad will ever happen to my children, or that they won't make bad decisions or do bad things? Emphatically, "NO!" However, I still know that God is watching over them, even during those times too.

When we were dealing with the nighttime fears, we took another scripture and framed it and it sits on her nightstand. Psalm 4:8 "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety."

Abiding in His grace as I travel this parenting road,
Lori

No comments: