Friday, February 13, 2009

On the Altar of the Lord

Dear Friends,

Many of you know the trials we have faced with our biological children and their medical needs.

I was recently emailed by a longtime friend that her neice is awaiting surgery for a serious, possibly life threatening, medical problem. She asked that if we had any scripture or words of encouragement to share she would like to pass them along to the family.

I chose these verses from my own time with the Lord during my 2nd daughter's open-heart surgery. From Psalm 84:2-3:
2 My soul longs, yes, even faints
For the courts of the LORD;
My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
And the swallow a nest for herself,
Where she may lay her young—
Even Your altars, O LORD of hosts,
My King and my God.

As I sent our 2nd child to the surgery our first did not return from, I laid open my Bible and asked the Lord to give me something for encouragement. Those were the verses that I read. Indeed, that day, I knew in my heart that the precious one I was sending off to surgery was indeed being laid upon the altars of my King and my God.

You see, we parents often think of children as "ours" and yet they have been "His" from the foundations of the earth. It is amazing to me when I consider that. When I think that every moment of these precious ones entrusted to me is in the hands of the Lord, man do I sleep better at night! Every need that I must meet as their parent will be met through Christ in me. Every day of their lives, and mine, have been ordained by God Himself. Psalm 139 says,
16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.
It simply doesn't get much better than that!!

I am amazed at how many Believers will give "lip service" to the fact that God is in control of all things, and yet live their lives as if they are. There are many who walk about totally unaware of the amazing sovereignty of our God.

It is the one thing above all else that I learned the most through the death of our firstborn. I have said many times that although I would love to have my daughter here (who would be 15 this month by the way !) I would not trade that experience if it meant that I would not come to know my God in an even more personal and intimate way.

Indeed, "My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord; My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God."

Please remember this precious family in your prayers. The parents names are John and Louann, the daughter - who is 13 - is Cassidy.

Abiding in His grace,
Lori

No comments: